The North Carolina State Button Society held its annual show May 18-19 in Greensboro, and a great time was had by all!
Here are some of the highlights:
- The educational display showing Division IV items and telling about their uses was beautiful and amazing! It was delightful to view and illuminating to read.
- On Friday night Paul Rice gave a fascinating overview of Division IV items, diving into the history of each group. Great examples can be found on his Button Country website here: http://www.buttoncountry.com/Div4WorkshopHome.htm. June Chapman and Amber Seward followed up with a Saturday workshop on mounting Division IV items – indispensable!
- The Silent Auction continued our theme by offering many Division IV item for sale, in addition to books, mounting cards, poke boxes and of course, buttons. Our thanks to the dealers and many members who donated items.
- We had a great year in tray competition with 39 trays being entered! The delightful popular vote on creative mounting of buckles was a special favorite of attendees.
- In our second year of having a Make and Take table for attendees to build small cards of buttons made of different materials, attendees cleaned us out by using all the cards and most of the buttons we had available. We’re spreading the word!
- Our four beautiful Raffle Baskets were a big hit, with two filled to the brim with Division IV items, one with a collector’s dream of LABELED plastic buttons (you know how hard those plastics are to identify) and one with wine and chocolates.
- We had a great year with 44 non-member attendees and 28 member attendees, which we attribute to the diligent work of our publicity co-chairs, Susan Hudson and Ann Abarno.
Our grateful thanks to these members who made our terrific show happen:
Show Chair: June Chapman
Welcome Sign: Gillian Bostick
Publicity: Susan Hudson & Ann Abarno
Nametags: Paula Woods
Show Programs: Paul Rice
Registration: Bob Whaley, Pat Koehler, Gillian Bostick, Marilyn Beal, Ann Abarno, Joy Childress
NCBS Button Bags: Gillian Bostick
Dealer Gift Bags: Laurie Smyrl
Educational display: Pat Howard, June Chapman, Amber Seward
Tray Check-In: Beverly Benjamin, Mary Mason
Judges & Clerks: Helen Vance, Gillian Bostick, Paul Rice, Marilyn Kinne, Pat Koehler, Ann Abarno, Karen Farnsworth, Paula Woods, Maggie Whitson, Mary Mason
Dealers: Shirley Clark, Bea Taran, Karen Farnsworth, Kevin & Marilyn Kinne, Mary Beers, Laurie Smyrl, Paula Woods, Pat Howard, Crocia Roberson
Educational Programs: Paul Rice, June Chapman, Amber Seward
We welcome your feedback about what you did or didn’t like about this year’s show, or what you think would improve the show. Please reply to this email with your suggestions.
SAVE THE DATE: next year’s show will be even better if we see YOU there – mark the date right now for May 17th & 18th, 2013 for our show “Metal Buttons from Around the World.”
We are looking for a member to volunteer to take photos next year – I did my best this year, but the few pictures I took don’t start to capture the fun and fellowship of the show. If you’d be available to take pictures next year, please let me know.
Button Best Wishes to All!